Saturday, June 28, 2008

an agent for newspaper articles?

The wonderful Lon Davis, author of Silent Lives and editor of the new Three Stooges book, sent me an article on voice actors written by a Washington Post writer. It's about why movie studios today feel they have to hire big names, like Jack Black (tho he Is great), to do voices for cartoon movies. I agree - there are SO many GREAT voice actors out there no one knows who can do just as good a job, if not better, than celebs. Why aren't they hired anymore? They used to be. Mel Blanc, Paul Frees, Daws Butler. Some people know Mel, but not everyone. That makes the Nameless talent less valuable? The world's turning more corporate? People are going to see these cartoons with whole families. Are they going because of the celebrities? Or are studios really hiring the stars' PR machines to spread the word better?

Reminds me of this: why does Coke need to advertise as much as they do? I really don't know the answer.

But that article raised an introspective question with myself too. How come I'm not interviewed for newspaper articles like this? Or asked to do DVD commentary when a new cartoon series comes out which stars the voice of Daws or Paul? I don't think my grapes are completely sour; but I did write books on Frees, Daws and the upcoming Blanc. Do I need an agent to tell these people I exist?

I remember before the live-action Underdog film came out at theatres last year, someone called me to request a copy of our Underdog book because he was part of the team producing extras for the DVD. Well, there's no extra on that DVD having to do with the creator of Underdog or the book they wrote. That was disappointing.

If someone can tell me how to get to the right people, please do. When I write a book, I do my homework and try to get to the people who have the answers. Perhaps that's not really the way it works with the mainstream? There are other agendas that are more important? Or perhaps I need a pushier personality.

1 comment:

Drew Smith said...

I have a little knowledge of this field as I occasionally dabble in documentary production and like to keep myself in the know. It's a shame but often the first people called upon as expert talking heads are friends or past colleagues of the producer in charge of making the show. Sad but often true. It is far easier to call somebody already in your address book or someone who is readily contactable and obvious.

My advice would be to set up your own personal website that includes a biography and a quick summary of every book you have written, something separate from Bear Manor Media that could perhaps help raise your profile.