Monday, June 23, 2008

on the passing of the great George Carlin



George Carlin was one of the greats, and possibly my favorite American comedian. Very smart. But not show off smart. Personal, but not "my girlfriend told me" and "I hate airline food because" personal. Political, but not so proper noun oriented that you can't watch a rerun without streaming footnotes or a perfect memory. He was a perfect dividing line between Bill Mahr and your average comic who stands up and just tells everyday life stuff He thinks is funny.

George was an actor who memorized complex ideas and tongue twisters because he, like me, loves the sound of language. What it can represent, the ideas behind why we choose certain words to fit certain ideas. I find that stuff as fascinating as he did.

Here's to you, George. Your influence will continue to be felt, but your person and your mind will be greatly missed.

No comments: