Tuesday, September 9, 2008

movies

I find this article funny. It was a good movie, but as we were watching it, I told Mayu that this is Rear Window. She only knows the name Hitchcock, and I'm not sure if she'd enjoy the original. But how come this lawsuit took a whole year, when anyone who knows anything about movies can spot that this is a ripoff? I thought it was a redo ("remake" implies they are not starting from scratch), being so close to the original. It seems like the only difference between homage and ripoff is how much it upsets the other side.

I just wanted to comment on a few films I've seen recently. First off, I rarely agree with critics because they must have different minds. I don't have a populace mind. And I like a wide variety of things. But I won't be seeing Burn After Reading because No Country for Old Men was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

I saw Woody Allen's latest film a few weeks ago - the first I'd seen in a theatre for about 10 or 15 years. I was very bored with this critically acclaimed one, too. First off, I'm not a fan of narration. I find it a cheap, easy way to get through a lot of information and personality without having to work for it. Second, it was much like a short story, with little plot and lots of relationship dialogue. I do like reading Paris Review, but I don't care for watching it. This is also why I'm not a fan of foreign films in general - I read all day, I don't want to read subtitles at night.

But it's not all complaints! I really liked The House Bunny. Anna Farris has that Rare ability of being a hottie with perfect comic delivery and timing. I hope she does a sequel and a lot more movies. This was much better than her average Scary Movie, I assure you.

I also saw Step Brothers with a friend of mine in Tallahassee, and we were howling at it the whole time. Yes, Zohan and Love Guru got a Lot more press than this film, but in a way, it was better. You have to like the "man as a child" type humor, but that's what you expect from Will Ferrell anyway, isn't it? The combo of the stars though made it the best WF film I've seen since his racecar movie.

And I did like Babylon AD for the kind of movie it was.

Of course I'm really looking forward to the new Fast and Furious movie next year. There was a long trailer for it in front of Death Race (also good, but shaky). Long, flowing scenes with a steady camera? Oh yes. F&F looks to be stylish and hot!

No comments: