Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas time in Kyoto


I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but this mall goes up and up, each floor teeming with Christmas decorations. We were here just yesterday (Sunday). I'm not a shopper at heart (limited time in book and dvd/cd stores is good), so I'm happy for Mayumi to browse around a lot, as long as I have a place to sit and a book to read and a notebook handy for ideas (to do list, story ideas, marketing thoughts, etc). So yesterday I was carrying one of the old 25 cent paperbacks of a Perry Mason book (they are Easy to read, being mostly dialogue) and I sat for about an hour before closing (8pm). Stores are open 7 days a week here, as is the post office. I think this is Wise. It's one thing to close for Sunday in the USA, it's another to close even if the worker wants to Work and earn more $. I don't think chains like Chic-Filet-A and the post office should close on Sunday. But, that's just me.

I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still yesterday too, which was good. Not Very Good. It was a drama, like Independence Day, which has all the effects in the trailer. And a nice message. Though I do wonder what the point of a message film is. Like Bob Dylan singing about poverty and making a lot of money doing it. Talking about change does little good. Oops, sorry, that's as deep as I'll go today. The big cartoon robot that turns to dust is Really funny to me. I still wonder at who thinks effects like these are better than when Star Wars was using models rather than cartoons.

No comments: