Monday, December 15, 2008

it was cold, wet, but fun


Me, fishing, last year.

I think one of the things I like most about the Japanese is their respect for privacy and feelings. Now, I'll admit, before I had Any interest in the orient (apart from the vague wish to visit Disneyland in Tokyo), I based my opinion on orientals (which I now call asian, being the word of preference here and now) on the few times I saw them driving and in stores. They seemed single minded to the point of tunnel vision - i.e. not looking in the rear view mirror when driving, etc. But I have nothing negative to say about the Japanese - they are so sweet, friendly, helpful, yes and they are business minded, but that is a good thing. In this world of slackers and so many Americans being on the dole, it's good to see a country that takes success seriously. I mean even the common man. Here, if you're not nice and energetic, you get fired. In the USA, McDonald's is always understaffed.

2 comments:

John Teehan said...

That's a heck of a pole. Do the Japanese usually use rod and reel, or the long pole-drag-em-in method?

--John

Ben Ohmart said...

Well I can't speak in generalizations, but my my wife's dad (the fisherman in the family) just does a little cast and bops up and down until the fish magically stick themselves to the hooks! So that's what I did.